The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
Hellooooo, SAILOR! The annual Fleet Week floats back into Portland today. Courtesy Rose Festival
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! After a GORGEOUS day today, showers will possibly return to the Portland area tomorrow afternoon with a high of 71. Now let’s dip into some NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Today in “YUCK!”: In their continuing efforts to break up TWO union-organizing efforts at their stores, New Seasons has hired a law firm that has a lot of experience with union busting… like with some of Trump’s companies. (Not… a good look.) Our Alex Zielinski has more!
New Seasons turns to a familiar playbook to fight its workers’ unionizing efforts:https://t.co/l0fqi8DLCT
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) June 8, 2022
• Speaking of Trump-related shitheads: Controversial ex-Sheriff David Clarke—who has spoken out against the Black Lives Matter movement, wants to defund schools instead of cops, and fraternizes with the Proud Boys—has been chosen to speak at a conference of Oregon school resource officers…. which is like, a TERRIBLE idea, right? (Apparently a lot of people agree.)
• “Vancouver City Council bans protests outside elected officials’ homes.” Huh… wonder how well that will hold up in court?
• Behold! This is probably the first Disney film ever to show anal. It’s the gorgeously gay Fire Island (now screening on Hulu) and Matt Baume has the delicious review.
• Not related, like AT ALL: Fleet Week in Portland is underway, and here’s the schedule of when you expect those long boats full of seamen.
It’s raining rainbows, hallelujah! That’s right beautiful people, another Pride Month is upon us, and there’s plenty of ways to get loud and proud, from family-friendly celebrations to events that are a little friskier in nature. https://t.co/RA0lGbOXtk
— EverOut Portland (@EverOutPortland) June 8, 2022
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Today lawmakers in Congress heard emotional testimony from child and adult survivors (as well as mourning family members) in a bid to FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY create gun legislation that will stop the constant and senseless barrage of mass murders—though don’t expect Republicans to be convinced of anything, ever. (Except their own self-interest, of course.)
The U.S. House has voted to set a minimum age of 21 for buying semi-automatic weapons in response to recent mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas. The measure is almost certain to fail in the Senate. https://t.co/gaqFx0E9E9
— The Associated Press (@AP) June 8, 2022
Top Justice Department has launched a review of law enforcement’s response to the Uvalde school shooting.
They plan to review documents, interview officers, and consult with families of victims and survivors.https://t.co/p3QJcAon59
— NPR (@NPR) June 8, 2022
• According to officials, an armed man (gun, knife, zip-ties) showed up near Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s house and intended to kill him for his far-right views on abortion and more. He has been charged with attempted murder.
• In an election result that does not bode well for progressive district attorneys across the nation, San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin has been recalled after a heated citywide debate over supposedly ballooning crime rates. (FACT CHECK: While murder rates have certainly risen during the pandemic, across the nation other non-violent crimes have decidedly NOT. So, as always, be wary of lying Republicans and panicky Democrats.)
“but data from the police department showed that many other types of crime, including homicides, have been stable or declined during the pandemic.”
Way to bury the lede. https://t.co/UbI4iBh5TP
— Elliott Young (@elliottyoungpdx) June 8, 2022
Some context on how progressive prosecutor Larry Krasner survived reelection easily in Philly while Boudin was recalled in SF:
Krasner got strong support from Black voters in Philly, which is 44% African-American.
Meanwhile, SF’s Black population has plummeted to 5.6% of city.
— Alec MacGillis (@AlecMacGillis) June 8, 2022
• While Facebook has done immeasurable damage to media outlets… “Change in Facebook’s algorithm gave big boost to GOP groups, research finds.”
After 11 months of gathering information, the January 6th House committee will reveal its findings in the first of several hearings. Here’s how to watch live. https://t.co/TVJLTJiMYt
— Brennan Center (@BrennanCenter) June 8, 2022
• And finally… congratulations, you’ve made it through Wednesday. As for the rest of the week, stay determined. Like this pup, YOU CAN DO THIS.
Mission I’m pawssible..🐕🐾🥏🤯😅 pic.twitter.com/RCIoul2DrE
— o̴g̴ (@Yoda4ever) June 8, 2022