Friday, Jan. 6, 2023, will mark 24 months given that the assault on the U.S. Capitol that disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress in the approach of affirming the presidential election final results.
Less than the ongoing leadership of the Justice Department, the U.S. Attorney’s Workplace for the District of Columbia and the FBI’s Washington Subject Place of work, the investigation and prosecution of those dependable for the attack proceeds to transfer ahead at an unparalleled pace and scale.
Legal professional Basic Merrick B. Garland manufactured the following assertion:
“Two decades ago, the United States Capitol was attacked as lawmakers achieved to affirm the final results of a presidential election. Perpetrators attacked law enforcement officers, qualified and assaulted associates of the media, and interfered with a elementary element of our democracy: the tranquil transfer of electrical power from 1 administration to the subsequent.
“Since then, a great number of brokers, investigators, prosecutors, analysts, and others throughout the Justice Division have participated in a single of the major, most advanced, and most source-intensive investigations in our history. I am really grateful for the determination, professionalism, and integrity with which they have done this perform. This investigation has resulted in the arrest of additional than 950 defendants for their alleged roles in the attack. We have secured convictions for a wide array of legal carry out on January 6 as effectively as in the days and months top up to the assault. Our operate is considerably from above.
“We will by no means forget the sacrifice of the legislation enforcement officers who defended the associates of Congress and other people within the Capitol that day. And we will in no way overlook the 5 officers who responded selflessly on January 6 and who have considering that misplaced their life: Officer Brian Sicknick, Officer Howard Liebengood, Officer Jeffrey Smith, Officer Gunther Hashida, and Officer Kyle DeFreytag.
“The Justice Section stays fully commited to honoring them. We remain fully commited to making certain accountability for individuals criminally liable for the January 6 assault on our democracy. And we keep on being dedicated to performing anything in our power to protect against this from at any time occurring once more.”
Primarily based on the public court files, under is a snapshot of the investigation as of Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023. Full versions of most of the public court docket documents utilized to compile these statistics are available on the Capitol Breach Investigation Useful resource Web site at https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/capitol-breach-scenarios.
Arrests created: A lot more than 950 defendants have been arrested in almost all 50 states and the District of Columbia. (This features these charged in each District and Excellent Courtroom).
- Extra than 284 defendants have been billed with assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers or staff, including approximately 99 folks who have been charged with employing a deadly or hazardous weapon or triggering major bodily harm to an officer.
- Approximately 140 law enforcement officers were being assaulted Jan. 6 at the Capitol, like about 80 from the U.S. Capitol Police and about 60 from the Metropolitan Police Division.
- Approximately 11 people today have been arrested on a series of prices that relate to assaulting a member of the media, or destroying their tools, on January 6.
- Approximately 860 defendants have been billed with coming into or remaining in a limited federal making or grounds. Of these, 91 defendants have been charged with getting into a restricted place with a risky or fatal weapon.
- Approximately 59 defendants have been charged with destruction of govt property, and approximately 36 defendants have been billed with theft of government home.
- Much more than 295 defendants have been charged with corruptly obstructing, influencing, or impeding an formal continuing, or making an attempt to do so.
- Approximately 50 defendants have been charged with conspiracy, possibly: (a) conspiracy to hinder a congressional proceeding, (b) conspiracy to hinder legislation enforcement throughout a civil problem, (c) conspiracy to injure an officer, (d) seditious conspiracy, or (e) some mixture of the 4.
- Close to 484 individuals have pleaded responsible to a selection of federal fees, several of whom confronted or will face incarceration at sentencing.
- Approximately 119 have pleaded guilty to felonies. Another 364 have pleaded guilty to misdemeanors.
- A full of 52 of those who have pleaded guilty to felonies have pleaded to federal charges of assaulting regulation enforcement officers. An additional 22 folks have pleaded guilty to felony obstruction of regulation enforcement throughout a civil disorder. Of these 74 defendants, 41 have now been sentenced to prison phrases of up to 90 months.
- Four of these who have pleaded responsible to felonies have pleaded guilty to the federal charge of seditious conspiracy.
- 40 men and women have been identified guilty at contested trials, like three who were uncovered guilty in the Remarkable Courtroom of the District of Columbia. Another 10 persons have been convicted subsequent an agreed-on established of information. 16 of these 50 defendants ended up identified responsible of assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers, a felony, including one who has been sentenced to 10 many years in jail.
- Approximately 351 federal defendants have had their cases adjudicated and gained sentences for their prison action on January 6. Approximately 192 have been sentenced to intervals of incarceration. Approximately 87 defendants have been sentenced to a time period of household detention, together with approximately 14 who also were being sentenced to a period of time of incarceration.
- Citizens from all over the country have delivered invaluable assistance in determining persons in connection with the January 6 attack. The FBI proceeds to seek out the public’s assist in figuring out approximately 350 men and women considered to have fully commited violent functions on the Capitol grounds, like over 250 who assaulted law enforcement officers.
- In addition, the FBI presently has 14 videos of suspects wanted for violent assaults on federal officers and a person video of two suspects wanted for assaults on users of the media on Jan. 6 and is seeking the public’s assistance to determine them.
- Some of the violent offenders about whom the FBI is trying to find public strategies to discover and locate Evan Neumann, Jonathan Daniel Pollock, AFOs #91, #292, #371, and #383. AFO #91 utilizes what seems to be a adhere to strike several officers various times though in the doorway of the Reduce West Terrace, normally referred to as the tunnel. AFOs #292, #371, and #383 are all revealed on video clip charging at and assaulting officers, and they seem to get and endeavor to acquire possession of the officers’ batons.
- For photographs and video clip of the attackers, remember to visit https://www.fbi.gov/needed/capitol-violence. Anybody with strategies can phone 1-800-Connect with-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit tips.fbi.gov.